Tuesday, October 5, 2010

So just how tough is it to be a kid in the third world?

Well, since this time yesterday, 24,000 kids have died from preventable things like diarrhea, pneumonia, and malaria. That's about 30 kids who've died since you started reading this article.

Interestingly, they didn't have to die. It wouldn't be hard to keep them alive.

Like the little girl I met at the elementary school I visit when I'm in Africa. It was the Children's Day celebration that sticks in my mind. She's in the pictures I took and printed for the school wall. One of my little friends and I were enjoying the pictures when a teacher pointed her out and gave me the bad news. She'd died of malaria. Another sweet little girl had lost both her parents to malaria as well. I'd met both of them, shook hands with them, laughed with them, and took their pictures. The following year when I came back, one was dead and the other had lost her family and been moved away to live with relatives. They didn't have to die, but for now there's not much in the way of basic health care where they live.

UNICEF ImageRead Isaiah's story of living on the streets in Lagos, Nigeria here:

UNICEF

Digital Diary: Nigerian street children tell their stories of life without security

NEW YORK, USA, 26 December 2007 – Isaiah has spent 5 of his 15 years living on the streets of Lagos, Nigeria, the second largest city in Africa. 

It's harder being a kid in poverty than most westerners can imagine. Lots of opportunities to get involved, of course.