Sunday, August 29, 2010

'Things you don't want to know' for $100, Alex.



I'm a selfish, tight-fisted person by nature.  Ouch!  I didn't  know that until I threw a tantrum over my kid's cell phone bill some years ago.  It hurt her feelings and troubled me deeply.

Along the way, eventually, I heard a different tune about my 'tightfisted' heart ...  


Proverbs 21:26 ... the righteous gives without sparing.

Luke 6:34  And if you lend to those from whom you expect repayment, what credit is that to you? Even 'sinners' lend, expecting to be repaid in full.

1 Timothy 6:18 Command them to do good, to be rich in good deeds, and to be generous and willing to share.



Deuteronomy 15:7 ... do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother.  Rather be openhanded and freely lend him whatever he needs.

Matthew 5:42  Give to him that asks in need, and from him that would borrow from you, turn not away.

 

On a cruise with wife and family, I was reminded of the ease of our lifestyle compared to so many of those whom we know and love.

Elsewhere in our career travels, we've seen how the reality of rural poverty limits the lives of folks so painfully.  Forced to choose between educating their kids, getting some health help, or eating, life is more than difficult.  It's devastating.

I'm having an increasingly difficult time being willing to continue this path of ease.

Fortunately, my wife is a gracious and generous soul with simple needs who encourages me.  We live simply and have no great financial difficulties.  The only real difficulty we have these days is sorting and deciding among all the real needs our Father has given us opportunity to see.

We have dear friends scattered across Africa, some in the drought and famine areas of Djibouti and Kenya.

The boys here in their new school shirts are among the kids we've agreed to sponsor for school costs.  Fine fellows all.

They might as well be our own children and family.  What do we do next, Father?